Thursday 12 July 2012

Early Morning Italy...or- Lazy Amy

Where I live, a lot of employment is in the agricultural sector. This means several things. Firstly, the scenery in the surrounding area is gorgeous. No factories or big industrial sites ruining everyone's view. Secondly, there are a lot of tractors. I mean a lot. But also, it means that my little town gets up early. This type of work definitely doesn't start at 9am.

I'd love to say that I am a total morning person, up at the crack of dawn, prancing about spreading morning joy. Well, I'm not. That's not to say I'm totally grumpy and in a trance at 8am, but I do enjoy a good sleep, and like to wake up naturally, whether than be at 7am or 10am. So, during my summer holidays I often don't need to get up too early. But unfortunately, the rest of my hard working, not so lazy town does.

It's not only those who work in agriculture however. It's pretty much everyone. Now you can see why they love coffee so much here- it's a necessity! But where am I going with this? You may be thinking. Why can't I just continue sleeping and let everyone get on with their business while I bask unashamedly in my laziness? Well, let's just say that certain people aren't so discreet in their early morning routines.

This is what I hear during the early hours of the morning:


Power tools.
The (insert rude adjective here) man next door has been using these for over 6 months now. I don't even know what he's doing with them. 



Men driving around with megaphones.
 Publicising their potatoes/mattresses/cleaning goods that are on offer.



Stray dogs.
It's not their fault, I know. More on this is the future. 


 
Choirs.
OK, this definitely isn't a bad way to be woken up. They sound a LOT better than power tools.

There are a couple of things I can do about this less than discreet morning routine that my beloved southern town has. 
1. Embrace said morning routine. Join the choir and sing myself into a becoming a joyful morning   person. 
2. Pop in the earplugs for a bit.

Hmm. Which one will it be...? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment