Wednesday 29 January 2014

Cooking Curiosity...

Although not technically a 'food blog', this little site of mine is usually about 75-80% food. Well, what can I say? I live in Italy. The food here is nothing short of DELICIOUS. However, most of my food related posts are of things I have EATEN; not necessarily MADE. Apart from the odd pasta dish or yogurt cake, I do not promote myself as a cook. I have decided that I would like this to change. I'm not sure if it's the cold winter months of staying indoors, or viewing other people's culinary skills that have sparked my curiosity, but what I do know, is that I am determined to get just a little better at cooking stuff.

I have had a go at two simple recipes recently (yes, I'm starting off simple), namely Nutella brownies and funghi al forno. They both turned out very well indeed, thus prompting me to research my next dish. A friend recently gave me the recipe for a pumpkin risotto, so methinks that will be the next step. However it turns out, it will be posted on here. So no pressure or anything....



Nutella Brownies: 240ml of Nutella (yes, it's rather a lot...), 60g flour, 2g slat, 2 eggs, 100g brown sugar, 5ml vanilla essence, 56g melted butter. Mix eggs, Nutella, sugar and vanilla. Then alternate adding the flour/salt and the butter. Spread into a tin and bake for about 25/30 mins (depending on your oven) at around 160/170 °C. The brownies were quite cakey, but very tasty indeed. I added some coconut to mine too. (Recipe taken from the AllTheCooks.com food app)



Funghi al Forni: This is so simple but absolutely delish. Remove the stalks and wipe the mushrooms clean, before laying out on a baking tray and covering with chopped garlic, salt, parsley, Parmesan cheese, olive oil and a scattering of breadcrumbs. Pop in the oven for about 15 minutes or so at 160°C. Event though I got good feedback for these, next time I think I'll add a little more Parmesan and breadcrumbs. (Recipe taken from a lovely colleague of mine)

4 comments:

  1. Ooh yummy! I love cooking but my boyfriend doesn't let me that often because he is Italian so was born with a silver ladle in his hand.. although I think that may have changed since I cooked him and his dad dinner the other night (check this beast of a meal out)
    Will have to save the mushrooms for a lonely night in though as he doesn't eat them sob
    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- that IS a beast of a meal Lucy!! Well done you! Cooking for Italians is tricky business...too fussy for words some of them ;) Thanks for stopping by my blog :D (And yes, try the mushrooms even if your man doesn't eat them...they are delish!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. DEFINITELY will be making these!! :O :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes- do it! Both absolutely delish!! :D xxx

      Delete